Friday, May 2, 2014

No Airbrushing Allowed

I recently came across an article and sobbed (link at bottom of post). I sobbed for the way my body used to be, but with the knowledge that, even if I could, I would never take it back, because being a mother is the most life-altering, important, and wonderful decision I have ever made. Motherhood brings me joy every day, but I would be a liar if I said that I don't weep simply from the fact that I had my baby almost 7 months ago, and my body is still flabby, loose, marked up, and just plain bigger than I would like. My body has changed, and I have to realize that this is okay, as it is because of this change that I have my son, someone who makes me happy every day.

The pictures in this article celebrates that "stretch marks, C-section scars and rounded bellies are the marks of a woman who’s grown life inside of her. They’re brandings of power..." It also states, "Airbrushing the reality out of women’s bodies has become so much the norm, reality isn’t often seen, let alone celebrated. Even supermodels are Photoshopped into standards of total perfection that can’t be met in reality." There's the cause of the trouble right there. 

(Now, I must take a moment to say that the photos in the article are semi-nude (all the important parts are covered though), so if this offends you, please don't click on this link. If not, by all means look and perhaps have a good cry. Don't worry, I won't judge).


4 comments:

kristen meservy said...

Thank you for sharing this - it needs to be shared!! And just look at this photo - you two are so beautiful, and that right there is TRUE BEAUTY!! can't wait to see that chubby little guy on the left next week! and you and joe too ;)

Julia said...

Oh thanks Kristen! We are SO excited to come down to Vegas and see you! I've been meaning to call you to get all your tips about taking babies to Disneyland, but we are in such a flurry trying to get everything packed up and school done that everything has been pushed to the side for now. You will have to let me know all the good info when we get down there!

LauraandJoel said...

Matching Eyes!

lisey said...

so stinkin' cute!