Friday, April 18, 2014

Adventures in Solid Foods


Just one day before Ezra turned 6 months, we started him on solids! I think he was ready before this, but Joe felt strongly that we should wait till 6 months since this is what the AAP recommends. If you had asked me during Ezra's first 3 months of life if I would exclusively breastfeed for 6 months, I would have thought you were crazy. I found breastfeeding distressing both mentally and physically, and I don't think a day went by that I didn't think about quitting. For whatever reason I stuck with it though, and I found that after 3 months, it became much easier and much more rewarding. For some, breastfeeding isn't that big of a deal, but I feel a great sense of accomplishment to have made it this far. After such an accomplishment, what better reward is there than to see the joy on my babe's face after trying his first bowl of rice cereal? 

Ezra is a foodie, and these days he enjoys mushed up bananas and green beans in his rice cereal. Bananas were a tough sell his first go around, but he has warmed up to them since Grandma discovered he likes them better after going through a baby grinder. Below is a video of him trying bananas for the first time - the look of disgust on his face is priceless.


One last note: We think Ezra is allergic to avocados and apples. I've never seen his eczema flare up so badly as when he tried avocados for the first time. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, so keep your stinky avocados away from me and my boy! Just kidding! His pediatrician says for us to try them again in a few months and see what happens. Hopefully he will grow out of it!

No comments: